They say every mistake is a lesson to be learned so, in the spirit of sharing my hard earned wisdom, here are my top 5 lessons from New York Fashion Week – so far!
1. Party hoppers never prosper: during fashion week, there’s a lot going on and with a calendar full of events, you might be tempted to try and attend them all. Don’t. If you’re at a party and you’re having a good time, then stay where you are. Repeat after me: the other party is not necessarily better than where I am right now.
2. Your Uber is never where you left it and forget that estimated wait time. Citymapper might tell you it takes just 5 minutes in an Uber, but what it doesn’t tell you is that the car will take 8 minutes to arrive and only after 3 or 4 attempts to call the driver.
3. Bucket hats are a thing. Apparently. Alexander Wang, BCBG, Kate Spade and Tommy Hilfiger all sent the notorious headwear down the runway – which made me feel all kinds of nostalgic for Harry Enfield’s Kevin – from Kevin & Perry Go Large, duh!
4. Like your Uber, your photographer is never where you left him – and when I say photographer, on this occasion I mean Mike Miller (my little bro, for the uninitiated) who has the uncanny ability to disappear at the turn of a head and end up backstage schmoozing with the designer. The boy is trouble.
5. Skin is in. If my street style looks are anything to go by, that is. There’s been nipple slips, bare cheeks and a whole host of near misses. Just in case my sartorial mishaps don’t make it to VOGUE.COM, make sure to catch all blunders on Snapchat: emmamilleruk.
What else have you learnt from NYFW? Whether you were at the shows or following online, leave me your thoughts & feelings, on collections, trends or my fashion fails in the comments below. Also, don’t forget to leave me your burning fashion week Qs – I’ll be answering them on Snapchat!