1. Seoul Fashion Aficionados love street wear – from the catwalks to the sidewalks, the street wear influence was evident almost everywhere I looked. Other trends to look out for? Futurist prints and functional cuts:
2. Androgyny rules, and not just for women. Some of Korea’s hottest leading men regularly step out wearing bold lip colours and statement skirts:
3. K-POP stars are a FROW fixture but Hollywood royalty? They’ll be lucky to find a seat!
4. Some of Korea’s hottest design talents studied their craft in London, including Steve J and Yoni P; J Koo, and K-Pop-favourite, KYE.
5. Korean models rule the catwalks and Soo Joo Park reigns supreme (While I love to see diversity on the catwalk, it was certainly interesting to see a lineup that was so consistently Asian!)
6. At that price?! Remember, all that glitters is not gold, and not everything you see in the mall will be authentic. Watch out for new brands including: Paper Studios and Neil Jarret. They might sound familiar! 😉
7. Dongdaemun is home to Zaha Hadid’s incredible Dongdaemun Design Plaza where SFW is held. Definitely, worth seeing if you find yourself with a free minute to explore:
8. Meanwhile, across town, Apgujeong is home to some of the best shopping in Korea, with newly relaunched concept store, Boon The Shop, setting the standard. Don’t just take my word for it: Anna Dello Russo, Lindsey Wixson and Leigh Lezark all attended it’s opening!
Sound exciting? Well, it is! Korea’s burgeoning fashion industry is definitely one to watch and I can’t wait to return to Seoul next season!
Unless otherwise stated photography by Young Jun So.